What It's like to work under another photographer

As you all know, I have been working under Uarts alum Lou Caltabiano for the summer. Working under him has been an amazing experience! I have had the opportunity to experience so much and learn more and more about the field I thrive in. While working under Lou, I have had the chance to learn not only just photography but the business side to it. For example, I realized every photographer needs a team. You have your assistant (if you really feel you need one, in which you just might) who typically travels with you everywhere and helps you with lighting or fixing small details on a model, etc. You also should have someone who manages your files and invoices, stuff behind the scenes. Lou doesn't have anyone do that as he does it himself for the most part but John (the other photographer I sometimes work under like the Ben Simmons shoot) does. He typically has someone manage and store all his hard drives, send files out to clients, etc. because he is constantly on the job. i have also learned how difficult it is to deal with some clients. Not every shoot is what you dream it to be. You have clients who underpay, clients who have nasty attitudes, there's no telling what can go wrong but being able to adapt is what makes photographers special. It's not as hard as I initially thought because I have never worked under another photographer before but because of my history and knowledge of photography I was able to catch on really fast. There is so much equipment that comes with being a photographer as well. Once you start to invest in other equipment you realize how much you actually need. the different types of C-stands, Lights, Seamless paper, etc. There's just so much but in the long run it's always worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction