A gem in Media

Myra Reichel

The first day, I went to Myra's house in Media, where she does weaving. There I met her husband Lou and her shiba dog Mofune.

She showed me around her lovely house, it was almost like Barnes museum. Her walls were covered by framed paintings by her friends and other artists. Even the tables where made by craftman, the windows, the furniture. It all had an interesting story to tell. She showed me her garden. The most beautiful collection of flowers and vegetables. Of course myra knew the name of every single flower. She showed me her studio, where a 10 ft loom lives.

Myra's goal was to get back o weaving big like she used to. We started planning her next weaving and she decided to make a blanket full of colors. It was the perfect fit to work on for both of us. So we started planning the colors, using what she had and together we came up with almost like a rainbow without green. I myself love simple stripes of different colors like Southamerican woven pieces and i think you can tell some influences.

This is the sample we did to see if it was working

So the first day we covered choosing what we were going to do, the colors and materials, (she has over 1000 colors and option). We also decided to do a super long piece. Out of this world long: 10 yards. So that was ambitious for her and challenging for me.





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction