6

No matter what, I could be sure safety was taken into consideration when working with Kay. This is
something I think would be good for other artists to practice as well. Kay always talked to be about
toxicity of materials, of their grading levels, and that she had nothing above the second least toxicity
level in her studio (the vegetable-based screen cleaner that I talked about using with screen
reclaiming in the last post). This is something that she was in touch with when working as an
educator, in addition to her own persona interest in a green artistic practice, life, and world.


In addition to being conscious about chemical safety, Kay would always be sure I had personal
protective equipment if I was doing anything that posed a risk. While reclaiming screens, I used
gloves, eye protection, and ear protection. Any time I used Kay’s armature wire, I had to have gloves
on due to some chemical that California declared as dangerous when handled with bare skin. I also
used safety glasses when using wire, just in case it whipped around. Even though at times it felt a bit
excessive, Kay’s no-BS attitude for safety precaution is something I really respect. Besides the
interest in keeping an intern safe for her own sake, Kay feels the tough-guy lack of interest in
personal safety is not worth it in the end for whatever vanity reasons fuel it in the first place. Artists
ultimately pay for their use of noxious materials with lack of protection in painful ways, that can even
affect working ability.

Twisting armature wire with a drill means safety considerations

I feel analyzing the toxic nature of the materials we use as artists is important. I think this for
ourselves as artists, our audiences, and the environment it will be returning to ultimately probably as
trash. This is another aspect of art I feel I connect with Kay on. She has considered this waste, this
huge amount of materials artists frequently supply landfills with. Kay has used clay, paper and
wheatpaste, and fabric to fight toxic waste in her work. She reuses stuffing from old pieces, and
recycles clothing and other fabric scraps in work.




Here I am with arms that have armature wire inside for structure. It was interesting to witness
structure in fabric like that, simple as it was I don’t know that I’d even considered using it myself
before then in that way. Using fabric seemed more and more feasible in my work as I saw the
different ways Kay used the material.

Comments

  1. She is good at making fabric come to life using structures. Im glad to hear you are learning so much!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction