Week One~ Say It With Clay

Hey guys,

I just completed my first week at Say It With Clay. Sadly on Monday, the electric company was supposed to shut the power off at some point, so they had to cancel class. I found out about this as I got to the door at nine with it being locked and had to give Abbie a call to see what was going on. Abbie was upset she forgot to call me, but had me just label different art pieces so I didn’t waste a drive up there. Abbie also had forgotten to let shae know so me, her and Linda spent the day there until about one when the power went out. Even though it was upsetting that we didn’t have camp it was still nice to have a chill starter day. It also gave me a chance to figure out where a lot of things go and how things work before summer camp starts and I’m in there with children.

Today, Thursday, I got to go and actually experience camp. In the mornings they have the younger children, ages six to twelve there from 9 to 11 and in the afternoon they have teenagers there from 1 to 4. This morning we had four little girls come in and they all had a lot of fun. They all started off glazing something they had made earlier in the week and then went on to make more clay pieces. Say It With Clay has a very smart way for the children to paint their piece. The children use underglaze to paint the pieces however they want and then a staff member, sometimes me, will label the bottom with their name, date and class and then Linda will put two coats of glaze on before the pieces go in the kiln. It was all really interesting to learn and begin to understand the system that they use. 

Three of the girls today threw on the wheel which was really interesting to see because they wanted it to come out perfect and it is a rhythm that takes a little bit of time to get. The projects that they all do are very interesting. Today I saw three different pineapple pieces and each one was unique in its own way.

This afternoon we had a girl and a boy in the camp and it was very interesting what each child made. The boy made these fun characters from either a video game or a tv show (I’m not really sure but they looked amazing). He made so many different pieces it truly amazed me. The young girl also made a lot of interesting things. She has a very elegant art style. It was also a lot of fun to try to help her get the hang of the wheel. 


Overall the week has been really good. Its a lot of fun to begin to understand and learn about people through there art. Each person has a different style and interest and when everyone is making there own pieces no piece will look exactly the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction