Week 3 - Summer Fellows 2018



Week 3 – Summer Fellows

June 5 & 7, 2018

Week 3 was a good week with Denise.  I was able to attend her Exhibition friday night and was excited to get back to her studio on Tuesday.  On Tuesday the 5th I continued to help Denise with her panels by covering them with two coats of gesso.  In between each coat of gesso I would lightly sand the surface to make it as smooth as possible.  After two coats and two rounds of sanding the surface of her panels were ready to be painted for some time in the future.  I also helped Denise untangle light wires.  Denise uses objects that she finds in different places to create material installations.  She is planning on using these wires for a future project.  She doesn’t know what that project is right now but she is very creative and will come up with something interesting I am sure.

On Thursday June 7th I was back at the studio helping Denise with cleaning up the studio.  I swept the floors and took out the trash. I also spent some time getting dry paint out of the jars that Denise uses for her pallet.   I also spent a lot of time making lines and designs on tissue paper to help Denise get some ideas together for a future project.  I used a sharpie and created different line structures with both thin and thick markers.  I repeated the same lines throughout the different examples that I did for her.  Denise would show me examples for what she was looking for and then I continued on with my own ideas to finish off the project.  It was a productive session and I felt good about collaborating with Denise.  She told me she was going to use parts of what I did for some of her future pieces. 

I have really been enjoying working with Denise and learning a lot about how a practicing artist works.  We made plans for next week for me to bring my sketch book and go offsite to work on some sketches.  It has been a great experience so far and I am looking forward to continuing on with Denise over the summer months.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction