Me


Hi!
I'm Manuela, a Venezuelan student, soon to be senior majoring in fibers and textiles. This summer I was lucky to work with the  artist Myra Reichel. 
I like to think this summer for me was a mix between destiny and opportunity.
There are so many reasons why summer fellow was just the right thing to do for this time of my life.
The first reason was to gain more experience with weaving and working with looms, which sadly I couldn't have last semester because of my schedule. I wanted to complete my Jr year with that knowledge so I could potentially apply it for my thesis. Now I can see it as an option. I also learned that I love working with threads and patterns.
Another huge reason was how much time I had between school ending and my trip to Spain. I know myself too well and I knew all that free time was going to make me feel lost.
I love working around people, I am a very social person who loves hearing stories and experiences from others. My studio is my sanctuary and the people around it makes my days. During summer I always get anxiety from not doing and interacting in a social artistic community like I do while in school.  I get bored and sad quickly whenever I don't "make". It is a gift and a curse, but in the bright side,  I kept my hands busy with Myra and together we saw a loom being born.

I will be posting pictures of our experience together and the looms!!

                                                                                                   Myra










Comments

  1. Hey Manuela! I'm so happy to hear that the program is allowing you to expand your expertise in a way that the schoolyear didn't allow. I know exactly how you feel about having that extra time on your hands and just feeling lost with it, I often feel the same way and was also happy to have the program to structure part of the summer. I am excited to see how what you learn this summer will contribute to your work during senior thesis, I'm such a fan of your work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction