Nina & Nicole (5)

These past few weeks in the Eiland Arts Summer Camp have been hectic.

Some kids have finished for the summer, while some new kids are just starting. Even though I haven't been present for every class, I still was surprised by the amount of shift and change from class to class. I had thought kids would attend every class for one country, and for several countries across several weeks, but instead kids only attend some classes and for a handful of weeks. It's been surprising, and learning about each new kids for such brief periods of time has definitely kept me on my toes.

Two weeks ago, we did Italy. I came in an extra day so that they could have an extra pair of hands in the cooking class, both because that class is wild and somewhat dangerous if not handled right, and because Nicole needed to be out and would not be there to watch over the kids. I think it was good for me to come in, so that I could be another familiar face to those kids returning, and act as someone they still respected and listened to.

We made pizza cannolis, and the amount of dough we went through was incredible. Some kids needed help for every step, and didn't want to try. Some worked through what they had. Some accepted their mistakes and asked to start over. I definitely grew closer to some of them, as we messed up our dough together, and I'll miss them.




This past week was Mexico. While they listened to songs from Coco and learned about the Day of the Dead, I took the pinatas and flags they had made the day before, and took care of all the finishing touches that they couldn't do because of the hot glue requirement.




Comments

  1. Wow this sounds like a lot of fun! I completely understand what you are talking about with the summer camp being hectic but still lots of fun. I feel like I'm in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! I used to be an arts and crafts coordinator at a camp, wish we made pizza's!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction