Introduction - 2018 Summer Fellows


This fall 2018 I will be completing my final semester here at Uarts and will be graduating in December with a BFA with a concentration in painting a drawing.  I have learned a lot during the last four years and was looking for some additional real world experience. I was very excited to learn about the Uarts Summer Fellows Program and decided to submit my resume and interview for the position.  I was even more excited when I got the position with Denise Philipbar here in the Germantown section of Philadelphia.  Denise is an abstract painter and installation artist.  She uses her background in math, science and technology to create her art work and installations.  Denise learned to paint at the Art Students League of Denver after she was received both a bachelors and masters degree in math from the University of Colorado. Denise then came to Philadelphia and received her MFA in painting from the University of the Arts.  Currently Denise is a working artist in Philadelphia. 
            The opportunity I have been given to work alongside a real working artists is a dream come true.  I had the opportunity to meet Denise and it seemed to be a very good fit.  I will be working with Denise two days a week for the majority of the summer and want to learn as much as possible from her.  I have painting experience but really do not have any experience with installation work so this will be something new for me.  Denise is influenced by physics and math which are not my strengths so it will be interesting to learn how she uses her background to create her art.  I also like how she uses “found” objects to create some of her work which is something I can see myself using to create art.  I will do my best to help Denise with anything that she needs during my time with her this summer and I plan on learning as much as possible from her.  This is a very exciting time for me as my time at Uarts comes to an end.  This opportunity with Denise over the summer and a second internship this fall will be a great help to me as a try to figure out what comes next in my life after I complete my degree at Uarts.  I am very appreciative of all the opportunities that I have been given and plan on making the most of each one.

http://denisesart.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction