Week 1- Summer Fellows 2018

5/22/18  I was very excited to start with Denise Phillipbar for my first work day with her.  I got to the studio promptly at 12:00.  Denise showed me around her studio and explained where everything was that I would need to get to work.  Denise made up a list of goals to accomplish for my first day with her.  First, I got to work taping the edges of the canvases and wood panels that she would be using in the future.  This was being done to create clean edges for her future paintings.  Denise has an upcoming show,  so the next thing I worked on for her was painting the edges of an existing painting.  I found it really interesting that the piece that I was painting  was not one of Denise’s favorites but she is getting it ready for a show that it was requested for. Denise hopes that it sells so that she can move on to some new pieces. After I finished the edges for Denise,  we moved on to drilling holes in some of her existing work so that it could be hung at the upcoming show.  After the holes were drilled and hooks were screwed in, we added wire for hanging.  The pieces were ready to go.  I had a great first day working with Denise.


5/24/18   Went back to the studio for the second day.  When I got there I started by re-taping some of the panels that I had done previously.  Denise is very particular (in a good way) so I had to fix a few things.  When I was done, we prepared approximately 10 of her unused panels with gesso and PVA size.  I was able to get done 2 layers of gesso and PVA size so I will be finishing the third layer  next week.  Denise also showed me how she wanted her paint brushes cleaned.  They are very expensive brushes so Denise wants to make sure that they are cleaned exactly how she wants them to be cleaned.  I also helped Denise by cleaning up the studio floor and getting rid of some of the trash to help her with keeping the studio clean.  So far things have been going very smoothly with Denise.  Denise is very easy to work with and I look forward continuing to work with her this summer.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Slam Magazine Cover Shoot

Week 3 Art Restoration with Kat and Megan

Introduction